Thursday, March 21, 2013

Being a Participant

We've nearly been here three months; it's hard to believe. I know there is still so much to learn about India; however, I am beginning to feel comfortable being here. I no longer worry when people stare as we walk around the streets. The food and even the water doesn't upset my stomach any more. I'm able to handle more and more spices everyday. I can read some of the signs written in Hindi, and I was even told I cross the street like a pro. It's hard to believe how far I've come in just three short months.

I've really tried to immerse myself in the culture. There is no point in living abroad if you are just there to look around at pretty sights. It is vital that you truly get to know the people, learn the language, and take chances throughout each and every day.

As I continue the readings for my Documenting Culture class, I am fascinated by several ethnographers mentioned throughout. It has to be extremely difficult to live in remote places of the earth, away from family, friends, and modern societies. One has to be completely dedicated, courageous, and spontaneous. According to Participant Observation: A Field Worker's Guide, "Living, working, laughing, and crying with the people that one is trying to understand provides a sense of the self and the other that is not easily put into words." My Mom has always told me you learn the most about yourself when you're traveling overseas alone. From crowded airports to navigating a city organized by signs in a different language, you have to be prepared to be caught off guard. You have to be ready to deal with frustrations such as language barriers or rickshaw driers who rip you off constantly. So, I applaud all of those who have taken the task of documenting cultures vastly different from their own.

I know I'm not a professional ethnographer, but I am a decent participant observer. I am working hard to study the people around me. Since I am mostly with college students, I spend a lot of time watching their mannerisms, where they eat, and what they do for fun. I listen to them talk in Hindi or Marathi, and I ask tons of questions. I order foods they suggest, try drinks from street vendors, and shop in their local markets. In a sense, ethnography is professional stalking. People get paid to avidly watch and learn from others. So, I guess you could say I'm learning to stalk people for a grade.

The book continues to state, "... ethnographers practice the method of participant observation by living in the community, taking part in usual and unusual activities, “hanging out,” and conversing (as compared with interviewing), while consciously observing and, ultimately, recording what they observed."Recording my observations is something I have definitely been doing, partly for school and partly to get a better grasp of the amazing people who live here. Not to mention, most of you know I love to journal, so I'm always writing down daily occurrences.

The students here are similar to students in the US. However, there are some differences. They have this ability to memorize everything. When a topic is given, they want to learn everything possible. It is quite an obsession of theirs. I think it shows their true dedication to school and learning. Although, like all college students, the word procrastination is still in their vocabulary.

Besides their study habits, there are other things that are similar. For instance, girls in India know how to flirt, bat their eyes, and wave their hair. When you sit and watch, you realize how all girls are universal. I will say the style of clothing is a little different here. Yes, they do wear jeans, but you hardly ever see anyone wear regular T-shirts. You also don't see many of the girls wearing tight clothing. It is too hot in India to wear clothes that stick to your skin. Furthermore, many of the girls do not wear a lot of make-up, even when they go out dancing or to the bars. (The annoying thing is they are all naturally gorgeous, so they really don't have to know how to wear extravagant make-up.)

Boys will be boys. They have fun. They goof off. They get upset, fight for a bit, and become best friends seconds later. The thing that is truly different is the fact that there is an atmosphere of confidence wherever you go. It seems these students learn at a young age who they are and what they want. They have dreams and strive to achieve them- while having fun at the same time, of course.

The other night we went to Anuksha's house to help her bake brownies and cupcakes for her cupcake business. She's nineteen and already has her own business. She also plans to move to the United States and eventually audition for American Idol or The Voice. She is quite the inspiring girl. I loved listening to her talk about her dreams and aspirations. She reminded me a lot of myself at nineteen. (I was constantly talking about traveling and being a National Geographic photographer). At one point, Anuksha stated, "Why should I be scared to do these things? There are millions of singers out there, and I may not be the best. However, I can be and do my best, so why worry?" I thought this very wise and also very encouraging.

My favorite part about being a "participant observer" is the fact that I get to converse and interact with such inspiring girls and boys!




No comments:

Post a Comment